Updated COVIDSafe settings for metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria are now in place.
View new restrictions to construction sites.
Restrictions for construction partners and suppliers
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the Victorian Government has put new legal requirements in place for construction sites across Victoria.
As of 1pm on 21 August, the restrictions in regional Victoria are the same as those for metropolitan Melbourne - excluding the curfew.
These restrictions will remain in place until at least 11.59pm on 2 September 2021, when they will be re-evaluated.
Under the guidelines, all construction sites must:
- have a COVIDSafe Plan in place for each site location
- limit movement between multiple sites
- workers, including supervisors and managers, must not work at more than one site unless it is not reasonable and practical for the supervisor/manager to be limited to only one work site
- for small-scale construction, supervisors can move between sites and specialist contractors can move between up to three sites per week
- allow no more than one worker per four square metres of enclosed workspace
- all workers will require an Authorised Worker and Provider Permit issued by an employer, to be presented to Victoria Police or Authorised Officers on request
- all workers must wear face masks indoors and outdoors, unless a lawful reason not to wear one applies.
It is recommended all employees, supervisors and on-site specialists minimise car-pooling to and from work, except in limited circumstances.
Under the new legal requirements, large construction sites will be limited to a daily maximum of workers equating to 25 per cent of their baseline workforce, and/or five workers.
A large-scale construction site is defined as:
- permitted (as per the planning permit) to be (at completion) more than three storeys high (excluding basement), or
- larger than 1,500m2 floor size (inclusive of all floors) or
- for office use or for the internal fit out or retail premises, or
- for industrial or large format retail use.
Small scale construction sites (or sites that do not meet the above criteria) must only have five workers plus a supervisor on site at any one time.
Small scale construction sites must also adhere to the following:
- limit movement of workers between sites. Specialist contractors or supervisors who need to move between sites may only visit three sites per week. All workers moving between multiple sites must wear a face mask (indoors and outdoors), check-in using the Victorian Government’s QR code app, and observe hygiene measures
- supervisors moving between sites should adhere to enhanced COVIDSafe practices.
Critical State Projects
In addition to the legal requirements outlined above, the Victorian Government has categorised some of our projects as 'Critical State Projects'. These projects will continue at normal workforce levels, while ensuring strict compliance with COVIDSafe Plans.
For more information
Read the latest information and answers to frequently asked questions please visit Victorian Government’s Construction sector guidance webpage.
We are working closely with construction partners and suppliers to ensure COVIDSafe Plans are compliant and Worker Permits are issued across all of our projects.
Last updated: 24 August 2021
Subscribe to our
See other projects
in this area.
Subscribe to our eNewsletter
Stay up to date with news and information from VHBA
Thank you for subscribing to the VHBA eNewsletter.
Join our online commmunity for regular news and project updates