Updated COVIDSafe settings for metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria are now in place. Learn more
Sustainability performance report 2018-2020 released
The Environmental sustainability strategy 2018-19 to 2022-23 was launched in 2018.
The strategy set out a five-year commitment to improve the Victorian health system’s environmental performance and to ensure it is resilient to climate change.
At the halfway point of the strategy, we’ve released our Sustainability performance report. The report also includes, for the first time, data on Victoria’s National Australian Built Environment Rating Scheme (NABERS) hospital ratings.
As of 30 June 2020, we have identified and progressed 35 actions. Of these:
- 54 per cent are complete
- 32 per cent are ongoing
- 14 percent have been delayed, primarily as a result of COVID-19.
Overview of the report
The Sustainability performance report compares the health system’s environmental performance over 2018-19 and 2019-20 to the most up to date 2017-18 data.
Over this period, carbon emissions from energy use were down 49,007 tonnes (6.2 per cent).
This is due to several factors including:
- changes in the grid carbon emissions intensity factor
- energy efficiency improvements delivered throughout each year
- the rollout of solar in regional hospitals
- good facility management practices.
The report also details our significant progress in installing solar on public hospitals:
- The installation of solar arrays with an aggregate of 2.2 megawatt peak across 15 health facilities in the Barwon South Western region in 2018-19 through the Regional Health Solar program.
- The installation of 3.3 megawatt-peak of solar on 35 health facilities across the Grampians, Hume, and Loddon-Mallee regions.
- In addition, 13 further arrays with an aggregate of 0.4 megawatt peak that VHBA financially supported were either started or completed during the reporting period.
Environmental sustainability innovation grant program
Our environmental sustainability innovation grant program funded 12 projects across 10 health services. The funding supported innovations in recycling, waste avoidance, life-cycle assessments, climate adaptation, energy use of imaging equipment and food services.
NABERS hospital ratings
Victoria has rated around 140 public hospitals from 2015-16 to 2018-19 inclusive. This has resulted in 560 certified energy ratings and 561 certified water ratings.
In 2018-19, the latest year with certified ratings, 83 per cent of hospitals had an average or above average energy performance and 76 per cent had an average or above average water rating.
Sustainability projects in 2021-22
Work continues to complete the actions identified in the Environmental sustainability strategy 2018-19 to 2022-23. Programs funded through the Greener Government Buildings (GGB) program will form a large part of activity in 2021-22. The programs include:
- $40 million solar and LED program for public hospitals
- $5 million emissions reduction program
- energy performance contracting in our major hospitals.
Further information on our sustainability programs is available on the health.vic website.
Last updated: 01 July 2021
Subscribe to our
See other projects
in this area.
Subscribe to our eNewsletter
Stay up to date with news and information from VHBA
Thank you for subscribing to the VHBA eNewsletter.
Join our online commmunity for regular news and project updates