Updated COVIDSafe settings for metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria are now in place. Learn more
Introducing the Victorian Health Building Authority
We’re the Victorian Health Building Authority, and it’s our job to create modern and inclusive health infrastructure to support our state’s growing – and changing – population.
We’re currently planning and delivering over 125 health, mental health and aged care projects and programs, worth almost $8 billion. This includes planning, building and upgrading metropolitan and regional:
- hospitals and ambulance stations
- residential aged care facilities
- mental health facilities
- additional alcohol and other drug rehabilitation facilities
- replacing and upgrading engineering infrastructure and medical equipment.
We also play a critical role in the strategic oversight of $16.6 billion of existing Victorian health assets.
Upgrading and building hospitals and health facilities
We’re building, expanding and modernising hospitals and health services across the state, so every Victorian can access vital health services, close to home.
In metropolitan Melbourne, we’re planning and delivering major developments, including the:
- $1.5 billion new Footscray Hospital, the largest ever health infrastructure investment in Victoria
- $562 million Frankston Hospital redevelopment
- $162.7 million Northern Hospital expansion - stage 2
- $76.3 million Monash Medical Centre’s emergency department expansion
- $75 million site for the new Melton Hospital
- $34.9 million Sunshine Hospital’s emergency department redevelopment.
In regional Victoria, we’re upgrading and building hospitals and health facilities, including:
- $541.6 million to redevelop and expand the Ballarat Base Hospital
- $384.4 million to redevelop Warrnambool Hospital
- $229.3 million for the Goulburn Valley Health Shepparton Hospital redevelopment
- $217 million for the Latrobe Hospital expansion – stage 3A
- $115 million to expand Wonthaggi Hospital.
Artist impression of the New Footscray Hospital
More ambulance stations
We’re modernising and rebuilding ambulance branches across Victoria as part of our $241.7 million Ambulance Victoria development program. Fifteen branches have been upgraded or rebuilt, with 20 branches under construction or in planning.
Modernised residential aged care facilities
We’re delivering residential aged care facilities that support contemporary models of care and are dementia friendly, so residents with a range of complex care needs are supported.
Current projects in regional and metropolitan Victoria include:
- $81.58 million to build a new Wantirna residential aged care facility
- $134.6 million to commence planning the Kingston Centre aged care redevelopment
- the $10 million Rural Residential Aged Care Facilities Renewal Program.
Living space within the new Creswick Nursing Home dementia friendly unit
Therapeutic and safe mental health care facilities
Over a lifetime, almost one in two Victorians will experience mental illness. We’re planning and delivering projects across the state to provide greater access to community and hospital-based mental health treatment and support. New facilities include:
- $492 million for the Mental health beds expansion program
- $52.1 million for three new regional alcohol and drug residential rehabilitation facilities
- $11.9 million for a new North West Metropolitan Youth Prevention and Recovery Care (YPARC) centre in Parkville
- $8.4 million for a new Women’s Prevention and Recovery Care (PARC) centre in St Albans
- $20 million Mental Health and Alcohol and Other Drugs Facilities Renewal Fund.
Subscribe to stay up to date
Stay up to date on all our announcements and projects in your area by signing up to our eNews.
IMAGES: an animation of the Victorian Health Building Authority logo displays
Voice-over: We’re the Victorian Health Building Authority
IMAGES: montage of aerial view of Joan Kirner Women and Children’s Hospital; health worker using a life-sized floor plan of a new facility to work out ease of wheelchair access; new Mum with baby
Voice-over: It’s our job to create modern and inclusive health infrastructure to support our state’s growing population.
IMAGES: montage of aerial view of Goulbourn Valley Health Shepparton new inpatient tower; the new Northern Hospital inpatient tower and the Cobaw Community Health Hub
Voice-over: With over 2,000 public health facilities across Victoria and close to $8 billion in funding,
IMAGES: brightly lit children’s inpatient unit; new Emergency Department at Sunshine Hospital; ambulance leaving the station; Grampians Prevention and Recovery Centre; Orygen Youth Health Centre; mental health workers exploring a prototype bedroom model; montage of dining area and bedroom in St George residential aged care facility
Voice-over: We’re upgrading and building world-class hospitals… new ambulance stations… mental health and rehabilitation facilities… and modernising residential aged care
IMAGES: Nurse talking to cancer patient; Aboriginal health workers walking down a corridor; artist impression of new Footscray Hospital
Voice-over: So every Victorian can access vital health services, close to home.
A sliding transition screen then displays the Victorian Health Building Authority logo and the web address vhba.vic.gov.au
Final frame of Victoria State Government logo and text ‘Authorised by the Victorian Government, 1 Treasury Place, Melbourne’
End of transcript.
Last updated: 05 May 2021
Subscribe to our
See other projects
in this area.
Subscribe to our eNewsletter
Stay up to date with news and information from VHBA
Thank you for subscribing to the VHBA eNewsletter.
Join our online commmunity for regular news and project updates