Welcome to the latest Victorian Health Building Authority (VHBA) newsletter, VHBA In Brief.
In this issue, find out more about our latest project milestones and explore:
- on-site research will help patients at the new Victorian Heart Hospital
- more mental health beds at Northern Hospital
- upgraded Wonthaggi Hospital opens its doors
- the role of a project director at VHBA
- project milestones across Victoria
- procurement opportunities.
Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date on our announcements and project updates.
Australia’s first cardiac hospital has research at heart
The $577 million Victorian Heart Hospital is now officially open. Australia’s first standalone heart hospital is in the Monash University precinct at Clayton in Melbourne’s south-east.
Patients will have access to cutting-edge treatments thanks to the Monash Victorian Heart Institute hub for cardiac research, specialist training and patient clinical trials co-located within the hospital.
Professor Stephen Nicholls is Director of the Monash Victorian Heart Institute and Program Director at the new Victorian Heart Hospital.
He explains the benefits of embedding research at the heart of patient care.
Meet Project Director Samantha Morgan
In the first of our Work at VHBA series, Samantha Morgan explains that it’s her work delivering mental health infrastructure that makes her role so rewarding.
In the spotlight
New state-of-the-art mental health facility at Northern Hospital now complete
Construction of the new mental health facility at the Northern Hospital in Epping is now complete.
Once open, residents of Melbourne’s northern suburbs will be able to access specialist mental health treatment in a contemporary, safe setting.
The new facility responds to a key recommendation from the Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System. It will allow an extra 655 Victorians to get the acute care they need each year.
Upgraded Wonthaggi Hospital opens its doors
The $115 million Wonthaggi Hospital expansion is complete, with the upgraded hospital now open and treating patients.
The new emergency department has an extra 18 treatment spaces, enabling the hospital to treat 26,000 more emergency patients each year.
The hospital’s surgery capacity will double, thanks to three new theatres and a procedure room. The expansion and upgrade also delivered:
- 32 new inpatient beds
- more car parking
- a new central energy plant.
See our latest milestones:
- Maryborough and District Hospital redevelopment: New student accommodation opens
- New Footscray Hospital: Construction nears half-way mark
- Frankston Hospital redevelopment: Construction update
- Ambulance branches: Upgrade complete in Ararat, on the way for Gippsland
- 2022-23 medical equipment and infrastructure funding rounds: Recipients announced
- Goulburn Valley Health’s Shepparton Hospital: Emergency department redevelopment complete
In case you missed it
At VHBA, we’re responsible for planning and delivering the Victorian Government’s multi-billion-dollar health infrastructure program.
Our project pipeline will help to ensure more Victorians, regardless of their location, have access to the healthcare they need.
Buying for Victoria
- Werribee Mercy emergency department expansion project – Early works – Expression of interest
- Barwon Women and Children's - Managing contractor - Advance notice
- Ballarat Base Hospital redevelopment - Multideck car park expansion - Advance notice
Last updated: 11 April 2023
Subscribe to our
See other projects
in this area.
Subscribe to our eNewsletter
Stay up to date with news and information from VHBA
Thank you for subscribing to the VHBA eNewsletter.
Join our online community for regular news and project updates